Tuesday, November 11, 2014

November 11, 2014 - Tuesday

But even now I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you.”
Jesus said to her, “Your brother will rise.” (John 11:22-23 NABRE)


How much do I trust God in my life? How much faith do I put in him? Do I really believe he is involved with me personally? These are the questions each of us faces when we examine our belief. Most of us who believe, strongly or even somewhat uncertainly, keep the faith pretty well when things are going along alright; but sometimes when trouble strikes, we seem to lose track of our faith. We forget to rely on God at the most critical times. And we sometimes even dismiss him because of our indifference, sorrow, disillusionment or anger. Do you know anyone like that?

Imagine what it must have been like for Jesus' friends from Bethany, two sisters named Martha and Mary. Four days after their brother Lazarus died, Jesus arrives on the scene. Even though people had witnessed his healing miracles, he is too late to to save Lazarus from death.

Martha speaks pointedly to Jesus, yet even in her sadness she hasn't lost her faith. In fact, Martha shows such strong faith in Jesus she makes the first statement in today's verse, "But even now [that it's obviously too late] I know that whatever you ask of God, God will give you.” Wow! That is truly amazing faith! And Jesus responds with the great miracle of raising her brother Lazarus from the dead.


Today, I will not let the trials of my life weaken my faith, instead I will turn more quickly to Jesus at these times confident that whatever he asks of God the Father, God will give him.


Saint Martin of Tours, patron of soldiers, man who worried about cooperating with evil, pray for us.
Saint Faustina, messenger of Divine Mercy, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment