Monday, November 24, 2014

November 24, 2014 - Monday

Keep the mandate of the LORD, your God, walking in his ways and keeping his statutes, commands, ordinances, and decrees as they are written in the law of Moses, that you may succeed in whatever you do, and wherever you turn. (1 Kings 2:3 NABRE)

On his deathbed after ruling Israel for forty years, King David tells his son, Solomon, to "be strong and be a man." Today's verse is his explanation of manly strength. In it, we see that real strength comes from submission to God's will.

We are each called to submit to the Lord, to follow his orders and his laws, and to walk the path he sets us on in life. To do this, we have to overcome our own will which often runs counter to God's.

Centuries after David spoke these words, Jesus lived them out. Our great Lord submitted himself entirely to God's will. He knows precisely how difficult this can be.

Holy Spirit, I ask of you now, before this day begins, that you will--at each moment of inner struggle, when I would rather do what I should not, or when I would rather not do what I should--fill me with your strength.

As the word cloud for the past two weeks shows, we have been focused on faith in Jesus. May our faith lead us to confidently submit to God's holy will, which is love and mercy itself.



Today, I will trust in Jesus and rely on his Holy Spirit to help me walk the path of my life.


Saint Andrew Dung-Lac and Companions, Vietnamese martyrs, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment