Thursday, November 13, 2014

November 13, 2014 - Thursday

For our boast is this, the testimony of our conscience that we have conducted ourselves in the world, and especially toward you, with the simplicity and sincerity of God, [and] not by human wisdom but by the grace of God. (2 Corinthians 1:12 NABRE)


Saint Paul writes of his own behavior toward the Church in Corinth and in general. He mentions three distinct aspects of his approach toward people in order to be encouraging: simplicity, sincerity and acting by God's grace. And so I wonder how I might encourage others through the trials of my life so they might turn to God and trust him as their rescuer.

Simplicity. This describes a life that is free from complexity, pretentiousness or guile.* Today, we might say, "What you see is what you get." or "I do not hide my personal agenda." Instead, I act and speak directly.

Sincerity. This has to do with our intention, what drives us to speak or act in a certain way. A sincere person is earnest and is free from deceit, hypocrisy, or duplicity.* It answers the question, "Why do I act a certain way?" Sometimes, sincerity will cost me because I may have to sacrifice self-interest for honesty.

God's grace. God has given us a free gift which we call grace. One aspect of his grace is his Holy Spirit living and residing within each of us, offering guidance when we ask for it, words when we need them, and prompting action when it is called for.


Today, I will speak and act directly with others, guided by God's Spirit, so that they might be encouraged to know and see me turn to God as my rescuer in times of difficulty, great or small.


Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini, known as Mother Cabrini, first U.S. citizen to be cannonized, patron of hospital administrators, immigrants and impossible causes, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment