Friday, November 28, 2014

November 28, 2014 - Friday

Do not say, “I will repay evil!”
Wait for the LORD, who will help you. (Proverbs 20:22 NABRE)

This advice runs through all of salvation history. Appointing oneself an agent of divine retribution is dangerous. Better to wait for God to effect justice.* Look at how this guidance is expressed in so many other scripture verses:
Do not say, “As they did to me, so will I do to them; I will repay them according to their deeds.” (Proverbs 24:29)
The vengeful will face the Lord’s vengeance; indeed he remembers their sins in detail. (Sirach 28:1)
But I say to you, offer no resistance to one who is evil. When someone strikes you on (your) right cheek, turn the other one to him as well. (Matthew 5:39)
Do not repay anyone evil for evil; be concerned for what is noble in the sight of all. (Romans 12:17)
Beloved, do not look for revenge but leave room for the wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.” (Romans 12:19)
See that no one returns evil for evil; rather, always seek what is good [both] for each other and for all. (1 Thessalonians 5:15)
Do not return evil for evil, or insult for insult; but, on the contrary, a blessing, because to this you were called, that you might inherit a blessing. (1 Peter 3:9)

The point: Revenge is not good. Find your satisfaction in forgiveness.

So, how do you forgive? For me, it is a matter of mastering myself, my anger, my ego. It is about self control. Honestly, it is not something I can do myself. I have noticed that, like so many other things in my life, truly forgiving someone only comes after I pray for God's help. On the other hand, I have never once asked the Lord for the grace to forgive an offense and been denied that grace.

Frequently, when I am so angry at a wrong done to me, when forgiveness seems out of the question, when I remember to pray about it, what I hear in response is a simple reminder of the mercy and forgiveness God has shown to me over the years when I have been the offender.

Today, I will let go of my desire for revenge, by consciously resolving to do so and asking God for the grace to forgive whomever harms me.


Saint James of the Marche, preacher who always wanted the word of God to take root in the hearts of your listeners, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment