Thursday, January 9, 2014

January 9, 2014 - Thursday

And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost.  -Matthew 28: verses 18–19

How would you say goodbye to your best friends if you knew you were moving away permanently?  And what if you had just one last chance to look them in their eyes?  Wouldn't you be sentimental?  Wouldn't you tear up a bit?  I think I would.  But Jesus didn't, at least it doesn't get a mention.  Instead, he gives his friends instructions on a job he wants them to do...and this is literally their last moment together!  Why no long goodbyes?  Perspective.  I think Jesus knew something we have to struggle every day to remember:  that this life, what we can see and experience, is not all there is.  I think he knew he would be back together with his friends as soon as they finished this one last job.

Today, I will spend my day as a friend of Jesus. I will look forward to meeting him face to face, and to letting him know I did my little part in his friends' final job assignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment