Tuesday, February 11, 2014

February 11, 2014 - Tuesday

as it is written: “The one who gathered much did not have too much, and the one who gathered little did not have too little.” (2 Corinthians 8:15 NIV)

This verse is actually a re-quote from the book of Exodus (16:18).  Paul is recalling that scary time when Moses and the Israelites were lost in the desert after leaving Egypt--when they were out of food and God came to their assistance.  You may remember that each morning, each family was miraculously provided that day's food for everyone in their tent.  No more.  No less.  And so naturally, anyone with a bigger family gathered more food.  And anyone with a smaller family was told to gather less food.  No one went hungry.  Each had just enough and (here is the key) equality was established in the sense that everyone ate.

Back to Saint Paul's point.  Fearless giving!  Enthusiastic giving!

Specifically, he encourages his young church at Corinth to share generously with his new ministry in another part of the world.  He prods them to send financial help in a spirit of generosity and willingness, not out of guilt or pressure.

My understanding of giving is based on the belief that God provides me with all that I have and all that I need so that I can share it fearlessly and enthusiastically!

Today, I will evaluate the ways in which I give to others, and make sure I am not being reluctant, complaining or tentative about it!


No comments:

Post a Comment