Wednesday, August 20, 2014

August 20, 2014 - Wednesday

In those days they shall no longer say,
“The parents ate unripe grapes,
and the children’s teeth are set on edge,”  (Jeremiah 31:29 NABRE)


Jeremiah, like the other prophets, was given the unenviable mission of telling his people they had gone wrong.  In response, "Jeremiah’s opponents use this proverb to complain that they are being punished for sins of their ancestors."  To which, Jeremiah essentially tells them not to change the subject.  He insists that "the Lord knows the depth of their wickedness and holds them accountable for their actions."*

Aren't we the same way, even to this day?  When we do something wrong, we claim, "It's not my fault!"  We pass the buck.  We spread the blame.

Lord, give me the courage and humility to own my mistakes.  Regardless of how big or small they are, help me to accept responsibility for them.  When I harm others or offend you, please give me the grace to seek forgiveness.  I ask that you protect me from the anger and arrogance of self-protection.  And ultimately, please teach me to show mercy toward others, as I ask for your mercy upon me.


Today, I will pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for mercy and reconciliation in Iraq, Israel, Ferguson, Missouri, and in our own families.


Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, whose life was characterized by a deep devotion to the Blessed Mother, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment