Tuesday, August 5, 2014

August 5, 2014 - Tuesday

But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we also await a savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.  (Philippians 3:20 NABRE)


Today's verse is the conclusion of a tirade by Saint Paul against those trying to corrupt the beliefs of the Christians in Philippi.  The full polemic begins at Philippians 3:2 and gives us perspective on Paul's personal background and several key aspects of Christian faith.

For me, it is always helpful to remember that I am a citizen of heaven and not of this earth.  As I do, little by little, I view differently the particulars of my earthly life.  If I am a citizen of heaven, I am just a traveler on this earth, visiting but not on vacation.  I am traveling on business, as the saying goes, like an ambassador from one country working to foster better relations with his host country.


Today, I will be an ambassador for my homeland, which is heaven, as I spend another day here on earth, my adopted home.


On this Dedication of St. Mary Major Basilica, Mary Mother of God, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment