Monday, July 14, 2014

July 14, 2014 - Monday

Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show his works by a good life in the humility that comes from wisdom. (James 3:13 NABRE)


True wisdom is from God.  It is a way of thinking and acting which is Spirit led.  Each day I learn that true wisdom is a lifelong pursuit.

Here is a list of the qualities of the truly wise person:  pure, peaceable, gentle, compliant, full of mercy and good fruits, without inconstancy or insincerity (James 3:13-17).  The wise person is in control of his speech and demonstrates humility, gentleness and patience (Ephesians 4:1-2).  These qualities of the wise person are also seen in the Fruits of the Spirit:  Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control (Galatians 5:22-23).

By contrast, earthly pursuits can be identified by these qualities:  Jealousy, selfish ambition, boastfulness, dishonesty, disorder, and every foul practice (James 3:14-17).  And among people, earthly wisdom creates these situations:  rivalry, jealousy, fury, selfishness, slander, gossip, conceit, and disorder, impurity, immorality and licentiousness (2 Corinthians 12:20-21).

Each of these is worthy of study, reflection, and prayer; but, enthusiasm is my quick measure of how far from success I fall!  Too often, even when I am given the opportunity to think or act or speak wisely, I do not.  I give, but not generously.  I help others, but not patiently.  I sacrifice, but not peacefully.  I do not control my own speech as I should.  These outward signs remind me of how far I have to go, and how my enthusiasm for the gifts of the Spirit falls far short of wisdom!


Today, I will ask for growth in God's wisdom, and the awareness of change in my own heart.


Saint Francis Solano, who enthusiastically sacrificed for others, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment