Thursday, July 31, 2014

July 31, 2014 - Thursday

My children, I am writing this to you so that you may not commit sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous one.  He is expiation for our sins, and not for our sins only but for those of the whole world.  (1 John 2:1-2 NABRE)


I have to ask myself, very carefully and honestly, if I really know Jesus.  To know him, John tells me that I need to follow his commandments--to love God with my whole heart, soul and mind, and to love others as I love myself.

The question is simple.  The answer difficult.  Perhaps before jumping into my examination of self I would do well to admit that I fall short of this directive, that I am sinful pretty much on a daily basis, and that I desperately need the atoning sacrifice of Jesus to make things right for me.  Before I begin, I think I'm well served to remember and acknowledge I cannot do this for myself.

So, now I begin.  I ask myself, how do I demonstrate my love for others?  Do I show them respect as I show respect for myself--indeed, do I show respect for myself?  And I ask too, how do I demonstrate my love for God?  Have I committed my heart, soul and mind to his purpose for my life?  What does that look like in my daily behavior?  Do I seek God's purpose for my life each day?  Do I express my thanks to him every day for the many blessings he gives me?  On many days I do, but I really want to get familiar with the times I do not measure up.

I don't do this to feel bad about myself.  On the contrary!  I do it for strength.  I do this to put off what I don't like about myself and to grow in my knowledge of Jesus by getting better at following his commandments.  I invite you to do the same.

And most importantly, after such a difficult reflection, John reminds us of our greatest blessing:  Jesus' complete sacrifice of himself so that we might be saved from the eternal death sin promises us.  We know that even if we do sin, Jesus, our Advocate with God the Father, has already paid the price for us and for the whole world.  And so, I express my sorrow and regret for those times I have fallen short of the love I am called to share, I ask for his mercy, and I look to the Sacrament of Reconciliation as a way to free me from my sin and receive God's forgiveness.


Today, I will pray the Chaplet of Divine Mercy, asking mercy for my own sins and those of the whole world.


Saint Ignatius of Loyola, founder of the Jesuits and author of the Spiritual Exercises, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment