Tuesday, July 15, 2014

July 15, 2014 - Tuesday

I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing.  (John 15:5 NABRE)



I am always amazed at the simple clarity of something so complex.  Jesus is like a grape vine that connects you and I to God the Father.  This familiar image is used many times by prophets in the Old Testament, and Jesus is certainly referring to Psalms, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Ezekiel.*  Speaking in no uncertain terms at the Last Supper, he tells his friends he is the one spoken of by the prophets.

But to me, the phrase "remain in me" is a bit odd, even if it's context seems to tell me it means "stay connected to me" or something along that line.  That is still somewhat vague.  Reading on in John 15, Jesus clarifies the bottom line:  To "remain in" Jesus, we must Love one another.  The connections go something like this:

  • I command you to love one another.
  • You are my friends if you do what I command.
  • This is my commandment:  Love one another as I love you.
  • If you keep my commandments, you will remain in my love.
  • Remain in my love.
  • If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you.

Lord, help me to remain in you, to be your friend, and to bear fruit that glorifies your Father.  Help me to follow your command to love others, at any cost to me, as you did.  Increase in me the enthusiasm for your friendship by increasing my interest, knowledge, and belief in you and those around me.


Today, I will seek to bear much fruit by loving others and remaining in you.


Saint Bonaventure, known for your kindness, approachableness, gentleness and compassion, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment