Wednesday, July 23, 2014

July 23, 2014 - Wednesday

From now on I am telling you before it happens, so that when it happens you may believe that I AM.  (John 13:19 NABRE)


Believe.

At the Last Supper, Jesus begins telling the Apostles about things that will soon happen.  He does this to confirm for them again that he is indeed God's son.  First, he begins to explain that he will die a horrible and humiliating death.  One of his ways of explaining the humiliating death he is about to endure, is with an example:  He washes their feet.  Here he is, their teacher and master, lowering himself to the role of a servant to them.  This humbling act of service hints not only about the ultimate sacrifice he was about to make for them, but it also teaches us about how we should act toward each other.

In serving others we do as Jesus instructs us.  In sacrificing for others we join our willing denial of self with Jesus' sacrifice on the cross.  When we humble ourselves and become servants to others, we honor Jesus our teacher.

Imagine it!  God, who calls himself I AM and is the creator of all the universe, became man in the person of Jesus Christ.  He submitted his eternal greatness to the authority of men.  And he allowed himself to suffer and die by the hands of those he created!  And more, he did it with a heart of humility, sacrifice and service.  So on reflection, we can only ask, "Why?!"

Jesus sacrificed his life for us willingly because he loves us.  He did it so that we might be saved from the power of sin which had come between God and man.

It is Jesus' willingness to sacrifice that I most want to emulate.  It is his attitude of selflessness and his peaceful acceptance of what he was called to do that I most want to share.

The greatest difference between Jesus' complete sacrifice and my own little acts of service is my attitude.  I am not always humble in service.  Though I agree to serve, I am not always willing in my heart.  I resist denying myself things, comforts, or personal gain even for good reasons.


Today, I will seek the great contradictions of joy in serving, humility in personal sacrifice, and gratefulness when I am called to deny myself for another.


Saint Bridget, who lived a holy life in a secular world, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment