Saturday, July 5, 2014

July 5, 2014 - Saturday

For we brought nothing into the world, just as we shall not be able to take anything out of it. (1 Timothy 6:7 NABRE)


Both letters to Timothy are from Paul.  Rather than writing to the entire community, Paul is writing to Timothy (it seems to me as a bishop might write to one of his parish priests with whom he is good friends) encouraging him in the face of opposition to his teaching.

This letter is very modern.  It is deeply concerned with our love of money and our intellectual drifting from faith in Jesus as provided by the apostles.  I wish I, along with every other person alive today, would grasp tightly onto the message of today's verse.


Today, I will pray for the reforming of my heart so that I might not be anxiously led to the pursuit of money and worldly things, but content; and that I might instead seek after Jesus by pursuing "righteousness, devotion, faith, love, patience, and gentleness."*


Saint Anthony Zaccaria, reformer within the Church, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment