Friday, July 18, 2014

July 18, 2014 - Friday

At that time Jesus said in reply, “I give praise to you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for although you have hidden these things from the wise and the learned you have revealed them to the childlike.  (Matthew 11:25 NABRE)


Am I open or arrogant? This seems to be such a pivotal distinction in my own personal salvation! Today's verse revisits the idea of belief.

Acceptance of Jesus' teachings depends upon the Father’s revelation, but this is granted to those who are open to receive it and refused to the arrogant.*  So, the Father reveals the truth of his son Jesus to me if I am willing at least to acknowledge that it might be true, or that it resonates with something in my own experience, or even that I'm not sure but am willing to listen.

This trust is like that of a child.  And it is all we need.  Put aside your fears for even just a fleeting thought and you will find trust is still in you.  It is in each of us!

Am I childlike and open to Jesus’ preaching and the significance of his mighty deeds, or am I arrogant and, like the Pharasees, do I reject these things?*  Arrogance gets in the way of so many things, and the great gift God offers us is the biggest.

Even the most clever and well-spoken among us lack knowledge of so many things, so where does arrogance come from?  Where does it grow?  Arrogance comes from fear and it grows in an environment of self-protection.  Arrogance often disguises itself as confidence!  Underneath, it is an angry disposition used to guard me from becoming vulnerable and hurt.  It reflects my secret fear of others discovering my truly limited knowledge and skill, and it protects me from the hurt they will impose on me.  Or does it?


Today, I will seek to be childlike; to trust; to let go of my own fear unwillingness and arrogance for a few minutes; and to remember what I once knew so simply to be true:  That Jesus is God's son and all his teachings and deeds and all that grew from them are signs of his love for me personally and of the mercy that grows out of that great love.


Saint Camillus de Lellis, patron of hospitals and nurses, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment