Wednesday, July 2, 2014

July 2, 2014 - Wednesday

For it says in scripture:
“Behold, I am laying a stone in Zion,
a cornerstone, chosen and precious,
and whoever believes in it shall not be put to shame.” (1 Peter 2:6 NABRE)


About thirty years after Jesus died, Peter writes this letter to churches founded by Paul.  His intent is to encourage them to remain faithful even during difficulties, and it is interesting how he relies on references in Jewish scripture in this letter intended primarily for Gentiles.

In today's verse, Peter quotes Isaiah.  This 750-year-old prophecy was fulfilled by Jesus, who was that chosen and precious cornerstone placed by God.  In context, Peter tells us that we too are like living stones being built into a spiritual house.

Lord, help me to become like a living stone in your house by removing "all malice and all deceit, insincerity, envy, and all slander" from my heart.*


Today, I will seek to be uplifted by your presence in others around me, and to let drain away from my heart these emotions that separate us from each other and from you.


Saint Oliver Plunkett, martyr, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment