Saturday, January 10, 2015

January 10, 2015 - Saturday

And we have this confidence in him, that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us.
And if we know that he hears us in regard to whatever we ask,
we know that what we have asked him for is ours. (1 John 5:14-15)

IF.

For such a small word, IF wields substantial influence, doesn't it? It complicates things. It confuses what is otherwise clear. It annoys people. So, when we encounter IF in a biblical passage, we are wise to pay particular attention to it.

In today's verse, which is a passage from John's first letter, in which he is actually writing about praying for sinners, we're told with certainty that God hears our requests and gives us whatever we ask for--IF we ask for something that is according to his will. Now, the context here is that it is God's will that we pray for each other, and when we do, he answers our prayers.

Lord, help me to pray well. With your guidance, help me to pray first for those I love. Let my prayer reflect my desire to see your will done in this world. I ask this because you taught me to pray, thy will be done on earth. Let my requests be according to your will. Lead us all to heaven, especially those in most need of your mercy.


Today, I will ask God's Son, Jesus, with great confidence, to shower us all with his divine mercy.


Saint Gregory of Nyssa, who had deep faith in the divinity of Jesus Christ, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment