Monday, January 5, 2015

January 5, 2015 - Monday

The LORD’s acts of mercy are not exhausted,
his compassion is not spent;
They are renewed each morning—
great is your faithfulness! (Lamentations 3:22-23 NABRE)

Isn't that amazing to think about! God is so faithful to us that his mercy and compassion never run out. Not ever. He is kind toward us and forgives us when we make mistakes. Mercy is something granted to those who might otherwise be treated harshly. It is a choice to be merciful rather than to impose punishment. The Lord is always ready to show us mercy. He feels compassion for us and wants to help us. Always. Right now, if we need it.

The mere idea of God's endless mercy and compassion is both comforting and convicting. Do I feel compassion--a desire to help others? If I do, am I willing to acknowledge it or act on it, or do I resist or ignore it? Do I choose to grant mercy to others who are in difficult circumstances, or do I turn toward myself and treat them harshly?


Today, I will consider how I treat the many people God places in my path, recognizing we all need mercy and compassion more than we need punishment and coldheartedness.


Saint John Neumann, in whose experience we see that Christ does not give a mission without supplying the means to accomplish it, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment