Friday, January 23, 2015

January 23, 2015 - Friday

But this is the covenant I will establish with the house of Israel
after those days, says the Lord:
I will put my laws in their minds
and I will write them upon their hearts.
I will be their God,
and they shall be my people. (Hebrews 8:10 NABRE)

Quoting the prophet Jeremiah (31:31-34) from over six hundred years earlier, the writer to the Hebrews recalls the prophesy of a new covenant (which is like a promise, contract, or agreement) that God would make with his people. He tells us that, as God's people under this new covenant, we have had immediate knowledge of God's laws placed within us as well as forgiveness of our sins.*.

Lord, thank you for the new covenant your son, Jesus, established with us, who are your people. Thank you for providing us with knowledge of what you want us to do. Thank you for your Spirit within me who guides me. And finally, thank you for giving me your forgiveness, without which I would never have the chance to share in your eternal company.


Today, I will be grateful that knowledge of God crosses generations, for the gift of looking back through salvation history to see the thread of God's promises, and to have the chance to share this brief meditation with you here.


Saint Marianne Cope, called Mother Marianne, who ministered to those with leprosy on the Hawaiian island of Molokai about one hundred years ago, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment